Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Apple Pie Diet

The Holiday season always seems to wreak havoc on the best laid diet plans. Dial in a nice routine and before you know it 7 pies lie before you. My wife is an amazing baker, and I am an equally amazing enjoy'er of home baked goodies. For Thanksgiving Deb tested my dieters resolve with Pumpkins, Choc Pecan, Pecan, Choc Cream, Banana Cream and my all time fave Apple Pie. Cruelty!


Whats a dieter to do? Well, I could cave or I could go on the offensive.. and this year I went on the offensive. Dieting is all about calories, plain and simple. So, the way I see it I could eat nearly an entire pie every day and be real close to my calorie budget, as long as that's all I eat! So when the crackers, cheese and beef stick Hors d'oeuvres hit the table I go straight for the pie, which raises eyebrows when I bust through the top of that beautiful Apple pie (saved for desert), but hey.. I'm on the offensive here and I won't calm the hunger pangs with beef stick.. especially when I'm on a calorie budget! Splat of whipped cream and I'm spending my calorie budget exactly the way I want.


And that's pretty much how the subsequent days went as well, pie for breakfast, pie for lunch, and maybe even pie for dinner.. sure the nutritional value is questionable, but in times like this we must make sacrifices, and weight gain isn't one of em!


Calorie debt is required for weight loss, that's it. It doesn't matter if I eat 2000 cal of butter or 2000 cal of sugar, as long as I keep my intake around 2000 cal and stick to my exercise routine I'll loose weight. Of course the blend of macro-nutrients (carbs,fat,protein) can impact performance, but hey its EZ miles this time of year so no worries here.


Christmas will be another wave of butter and sugar and I look forward to it!