Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Rode My Bike!









Thats right, and my son Jimmie has joined the mission. Jimmie (16) wants to race next season too, and its probably fair to say he'll get in good shape a lot faster than I will!

Our first week back brought plenty of tender butt muscles, labored breathing and the confirmation that we're in BAD shape. But thats OK, we knew it would hurt.. and we also knew it would be fun, and it has been. We ride week-ends and Tue/Thu nights. Yep, we strap the headlamps on and terrorize the sidewalks and trails in the area for an hour. Its dipping into the 30's so good riding gear is important. We have gloves, shoe covers, jackets and hats just for the purpose. After a brisk few minutes the body warms right up and its actually not bad at all. Of course we will revisit this issue when its 15 and snowing!

Ok, I am keeping track of my stats. I use a Powermeter to calculate power and I use the Trainingpeaks WKO+ software to manage the data. A key calculation is "Chronic Training Load", AKA "CTL". CTL is a key measure of fitness, and when I'm in form my CTL is generally between 110 and 120. Today it is 8. Sad I know, and beleive me, that number moves like a glacier.. I would be surprised if I hit 100 by summer. Anyway, the numbers below are good stats for measuring progress.

Date....Weight...1hr Power...Power/Weight..Goal (LB's & w/kg)
11/14....169..........225w.........2.93w/kg........155 / 4.5
11/7.....170..........225w.........2.91w/kg........155 / 4.5