Saturday, November 5, 2011

Back In The Saddle Again!

So what does 1 year off do to a mountain bike motor? It pretty much chops it in half. My sustainable power (1hr power) is down about 100 watts to 225 and my weight is up about 8 kilograms. So if we do the math my motor has faded from a 4.8watt/kg hill slaying force to a 2.9watt/kg beach cruiser! Amazing. Considering my age (almost 49) I may never find 4.8w/kg again, but I'm on a mission to find out.

This will be a long road. Its not reasonable to think I'll find that motor before the 2012 MTB race season launches this spring, but it is possible that I might find enough of it by Marathon Nationals September 2012. That will be a 50-mile race up and around some mountain in Bend, OR. Where do I start?

First we need to train to train, or basically get the body adapted to riding the bike again. Get those joints working and blood flowing and spend a few months of just making sure I suit up and ride 4x per week. Say, 5-6hrs per week, nothing heavy, just enough to break a sweat here and there and do enough to encourage the body to strengthen all those joints and restore a little muscle mass in those areas that have not been asked to do anything for the last year. Definitely important to pay attention to any aches or pains that might spring up and be certain to not plant any seeds for chronic pain or injury. Basically, just ride, have fun, and stay rested/recovered.

In addition I'll need to start the process of loosing weight. Considering that my potential goal race isn't for 10 months, I don't have to do anything extreme, though with close to 20lbs to loose, I will need to have a plan. Lets say I want to be down 15lbs by May, that means I'll need to drop 3lbs per Month. That is a pretty gentle pace, the calorie debt shouldn't effect performance, just need to settle into a routine that will provide some calorie restriction. What works good for me is to eat 3 meals per day (2000 cal), no snacks and take in about 2-300 cal/per hr on the bike in the form of a carb drink. I'll schedule my rides so that a meal will follow the ride. It is also important that I stay busy and not get to cozy laying on the couch.







I'll frequently update this blog, that will give me the motivation to stick to it when the going gets tough.. like when Christmas comes with snow on the ground and all I want to do is lay on the couch and eat Christmas cookies!