Sunday, March 14, 2010

2006 Step To Expert


2006 I took the step into Expert Category, at 43yo. 40+'ers can be fast.. real fast! I raced the Indie Series http://www.indieseries.com/ , a handful of other NW races and made my first attempt at Sea Otter. I did really well in the NW races, but Sea Otter was anther step up.. I'll never forget watching the leaders ride away on lap 1, my legs burned and I was just going as hard as I could go, which wasn't enough to stay at the front. Ugh! On lap 2 I chainsucked and broke my derailleur. DNF! In the Short Track I managed 2nd, and that definitely improved my outlook.

Fitness improved and later that year I raced Masters World MTB XC Championships in Kamloops, BC, Canada. The field was faster still.. as it shuld be at Worlds! But I had a great 9th place finish, reaching the top 10 was a boost in confidence and helped fuel the motivation to improve, and I did!