Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blue MTB

Blue = Blues Guitar, MTB = Mountain bike, 2 things I am really into. I've spent years on both, shifted my focus from one to the other over the years, and currently spend most my free time right now in the MTB zone.

I race bikes, ride bikes, and work hard on being in great shape. My main cycling focus is MTB racing, but I love road riding and Cyclocross as well. Nothing like a giant road ride, or fast moving paceline. And Cyclocross is the Punk Rock scene of the cycling world.. a bit off the beaten path, but tons of character and super fun.

Within cycling my passion is training, I love to train. These days training can be pretty scientific, and there is a part of me that is easily consumed by the technical side of things, and aerobic conditioning has plenty to offer the geeky analytical type.

I use a coach, powermeter and WKO+ software as the tools to guide, track and quantify my training. Every ride generates a file that provides data which includes the amount of energy expended during each second of every ride. This can be converted to watts, a measure of power output over time. Watts is the unit of measure used to determine how much power my legs are delivering to the pedals.

My coach, Travis Woodruff, http://momentumendurance.com/ , gives me a workout plan, with wattage ranges to target for either the entire ride, or parts of rides (intervals). After my rides I upload the files to Training Peaks for my coach to review. Travis uses this info to tune my training and help me reach my goals.. which are always a Race I'd like to do well in. My current goal race is the Sea Otter Classic http://www.seaotterclassic.com/ .

.