Monday, March 8, 2010

First Race Of The New Decade!

Mar 6, 2010. To my surprise I won the overall last year, the legs were tuned up just right.. I wish I knew the secret to making that happen everytime I race!

For 2010 I showed up well trained, but maybe a little heavy on the training load. my CTL (chronic training load) is running a little higher than last year at this time, so not packing as much freshness.. but definitely packing some great fitness. I definitely had expectations for a great ride, but winning the overall wasn't really the goal. I just wanted to feel the burn and have good race vibes with a strong finish.

The race started hard and fast, there were a ton of riders (324), so it was a mad dash to be at the front as we entered the single track. I went in 3rd, which was a great place to be.. at the front, outa the dust cloud, but already committed to a position, which can be painfull early in the race with a fast start.

The pace soon settled and everyone started metering out there efforts. A few aggressors charged off, but I was pretty comfortable following Evan Plews as he held a steady, hard pace that probably never faded till he hopped off his bike at the finish.

We eventually regrouped near the end, except for Evan, couldn't quite keep his pace. But 3 of us played a little cat and mouse as we slow rolled our way to the finish on a 2-mile drit/pavement finale. It was a full on 3-up sprint for 2nd overall that went to the camera to determine the victor.. I lost by a few inches! It was a great ride though, 1st in the 45+ and 3rd overall.

Pro/Cat 1 roll out, I'm # 244